"Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride." Gordon B. Hinckley

Mar 15, 2010

My attempt at taking pictures of my kids

So my dear husband bought me a very nice camera for Christmas and it has pretty much been sitting in the box except for a couple times when I decided to get brave and take it out. It has so many gadgets on it I have not the slightest clue how to use it. It came with a couple days worth of classes to learn how to use it. So I signed up....remembering how bad I hate school I was scared out of my mind to go because I just knew it was going to be like going to school and I would rather be home in my comfort cave :) Anyway the class went fine but the guy was using all kinds of big words that I didn't know and he was talking so fast I couldn't keep up I really wanted to go back home where I speak to six, four, two and 3 month olds. So I needed pictures of my kids for Easter, I knew my husband would not be happy if I paid someone to do it because I am suppose to be able to save money and take my own pictures....here's my attempt. Maddy and Kynzee already had their hair curled and make up on because they had a dance competition, so I thought, hey all I have to do is curl Kenna's hair and get them all dressed and I figured it would be an easy thing, no it was more complicating than I thought. If it weren't for that darn lighting crap I can't figure out...maybe someday!!! And the shadows...why do they just appear everywhere?? Someone help me please. Hey at least I got some pictures and you can at least tell who is in the picture right. You would have laughed your heads off watching me take these pictures trying to figure out how to use my camera and make four, o wait I mean FOUR children smile for me was ridiculous. O how I love these sweethearts of mine :) They are so beautiful and fun, my life is wonderful.



Wanna know how I got them all to smile?? Their Daddy was behind me with suckers stuck in all the little holes in his hat, he looked like a weirdo and the girls loved it! They laughed and laughed at him and thought it was hilarious.


I love this picture because this is literally what Kenna does all day...looks at Jaxon....she loves him so much.





So we use to have all girls and lots of pink and now we have switched to blue!


And we have added this handsome boy that we love so much!




She is giving you the look....she was a stinker and would not smile for me for nothing, this girl is something else let me tell you what!



O and this one is just a natural and smiles like a princess in all her pictures, such a doll! And she was so patient with me while I was trying to figure out my camera.




Miss Maddy wanted to watch i Carly and she was not thrilled to have to get up off the floor and get dressed :) But she was so good for me and did it anyway. Love this girl she is a big helper.



15 comments:

Amber said...

You will have to come over and I will show you some things with your camera. You really did a great job for your first try. Are you using photoshop? You asked about the shadows, that is because your kids are right up against the wall. If you don't want shadows then move them away from the wall.

Lisa Ball said...

I love them! For your first attempt, you did awesome! I adore the girls beanie hats, where did you find them?

Judy said...

Oh Nan they are beautiful.... You are amazing. Hope things are good 4 you!

Kate said...

Natty i love these pictures your such a great mom:) I love your new little background i really do need help if im going to do a blog:)

Josh and Krystal said...

You are too funny. I am not an expert, but the pictures look great. You have such beautiful children! Good job! :)

Lynn said...

WOW! I am so impressed. Truly. For real. I am not just saying that. You have one amazing camera!!
I have no idea about anything when it comes to taking pictures. I appreciate Amber's tip about the wall and shadows. Who knew.

Hope you are willing to share more that you learn. I would love to know. But seriously.....I love the lighting in these pics. There's no "yellowing" or "fuzzy-ness" at all. Good job!

I love the colors that you chose for the kids to wear. I love chocolate brown and blue so much that I put those colors in my kitchen. ; D

Rachel said...

I love the pictures, I may have to have you take some of my kids, since I can't seem to get their pictures taken for the life of me. By the way I never told Reid that we couldn't go to Boise or that I didn't want to hang out with you and go shopping. He just doesn't want to spend the money and he just likes to blame it on me!!!

thechristensens said...

Your pictures are great! I love them. You have the most beautiful girls and one handsome little boy! And they do all look pretty good in blue!

Becky said...

The pictures are great! Kenna makes me laugh, and gives similar looks that I get from Seth! Kids are so funny.

Unknown said...

Nat if you want I can come and give you some pointers and tell you all what Chris was talking about in the classes. which camera did Josh get ya? He asked about that and I gave him some ideas just curious what he go ya. You did good for the first time out. Luck that you have some willing subjects. Like stated before, move the kids 2 big steps away from the wall and you 2 more steps from them. low AV and fast ss will get you some good photos.

Colter, Shantel & Family said...

Natalie! Your kids are so so cute! And I would have thought the pictures were taken by Judy! Nice work:) I would love some photography "tips"

Anonymous said...

Well I do have to say that those pic's you took are amazing!!! All the kids look so beautiful and handsome!!! You did a great job!

Torman said...

Keep up the good work. everyone has to start somewhere. The only way to get better is by doing it tons! :)

Peterson Family said...

Cute pictures Nat. I'd say taking pictures came pretty naturally too you. Cute kids!

Camille said...

Good job on the pictures! Of course, it doesn't hurt to have the perfect subjects you have! (: