"Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride." Gordon B. Hinckley

Mar 22, 2009

My Grandpa

I got a call at 9:00 this morning from my Dad, I wondered why he was calling so early. Well I have just been dreading the call telling me my Grandpa is gone, I thought for sure that was what he was going to tell me, it wasn't. The call was to tell me that Grandpa was now in the hospital and was not going to be waking up again. I have told you all before about him having lung cancer and how he didn't have much longer to live. Well now he only has a couple days if even that. I went to church and could hardly contain myself because I wanted to go to the hospital so bad, as soon as we got home I left. As I walked into the hospital on this nasty snowy day, I was overcome with so many emotions. It is so hard to loose someone you love so much, there is no easy way to say goodbye. I watched all my dear family members as they cried, my Mom and one of my brothers literally sobbed, my sweet Grandma, Aunts and Uncles and cousins all there together and so sad, I wondered how we would ever survive this sad thing that is about to happen. I got there just in time to listen to my Uncle give my Grandpa the most amazing blessing. My Uncle just got out of the hospital in Salt Lake, he has prostate cancer. He had surgery and is in so much pain, I saw him as I walked down the hall of the hospital and I couldn't believe he was there. He was there to see his Dad and I just cried for him, how scary to face cancer in the eye again and then to have to say goodbye to your Dad on top of it. The spirit filled the room as he gave my grandpa the most amazing, peaceful blessing. I was so glad I was there to hear it. I cannot wait until the day that we can go to the temple as a family and do my Grandpa's temple work. I know he will rejoice on that wonderful day. I have been so blessed to have such good family in my life and to be so close to each of them. As I sat there by my Grandpa's bedside today I was taken back to all the good times I have had with him, how thankful I am to have known him and to have been so close to him. These next few days are going to be so hard for our family, I wish that saying goodbye was easier. I am so thankful for temple work and forever families! I love you Grandpa and I know you will be there to get me someday.

12 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh Nat. I am SO sorry. I wish I was there to give you a hug, or a lending hand.

What a beautiful post. Your family is SO full of love and it shows. You are so right about the gospel and the knowledge we have about Eternity.

Trials are SO hard to go through, but there is nothing better than going through trials together with those we love, to help us and to lean on.

{Hugs}

Sue Ann said...

Mom has been keeping me up to date - wanted to tell you how sorry I am! I have always loved Uncle Bill - he was always so kind to me and interested in what I was doing! I pray for your whole family - especially Aunt Darlene! Love you guys! Sue

Jenna said...

I'm so sorry for you loss. I never know what to say in these situations. It broke my heart everytime one of my granparents passes away, though I'm always happy for them to be in a better place. I will keep you my prayers. Isn't the gospel the most wonderful thing!

Torman said...

Natalie I am so sorry to hear this I know how bad you have been dreading this. If there is anything I can do for you or your family please let me know! Grandpas always have a special place in a granddaughters heart I know I miss my grandpa but it is always nice to have the memories of those times together. Love ya Good luck with your week.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry Natalie. It was super hard to loose my grandparents a year and a half ago and I didn't have the relationship you have with yours! I know Heavenly Father will help you through it though! Like you said...good thing for eternal families!

Judy said...

Nan, this is a beautiful post. I wish we could have the words to the blessing. It was so amazing and peaceful. Grandpa will be ok. We are an eternal family and we are so blessed. I am so grateful for all the lessons I have learned from Grandpa. I am grateful for the Pasley family. I couldn't ask for better in-laws. You are an amazing person and I love you to pieces.

Michelle said...

Natalie, we will be praying for your family this week. The veil is very thin-- angels will be with you to carry you and bear you up as you pass through this difficult time.

Nichelle said...

Natalie, I am sorry that you have to go through this. It is so hard to loose a loved one. I know that families are forever. I hope that you can find peace and comfort at this difficult time in your life.

J-Babe said...

I' am so sorry for your loss. I' am glad you were able to be there with your family and spend those last moments with him. I ' am excited for you to get his work done for him, that will be such a good day! Hang in there:)

Becky said...

Hey Nat, I'm sorry that you are hurting right now, I know exactly how it feels, reading your post made me cry because I was reminded of just how hard it was for me to say goodbye to my grandpa in July. And I hate to think that you have to go through that too. If you need someone to talk to I'm just a call away! Your family will be in our prayers!

Amberlee said...

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. It's definitely never easy to lose a loved one. It sounds like your grandpa is being surrounded by loved ones at this sad time.

Marianne said...

What a sad but beautifully written post. The gospel is a wonderful healing power for the hurt that accompanies death. We will be thinking of you and your family! Thanks for always sharing such a beautiful testimony through your posts. They are truly uplifting and heartfelt!