"Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride." Gordon B. Hinckley

Mar 22, 2009

Goodbye Grandpa

My Grandpa earned his wings and went back to heaven on Tuesday night. I was privileged to be there when he left and I will never forget the face he gave us before he was gone...let's just say it broke his heart to leave us. I know I was loved by him and I loved him so much, I will miss him, but I know he has gone on to a far better place and he will come to get me someday when it is my time to go. God be with you till me meet again Grandpa!
Grandpa
I know each of us is sad,
It’s not easy losing a Husband, Grandpa, and Dad.
Together we’ve cried an ocean of tears.
It isn’t the same without him here.
However,
Grandpa wants us to remember
He is in a good place.
Watching us from above
With a smile on his face.
We have made him proud,
As proud as one can be.
Simply by giving him the greatest gift

A family!

Although we can’t see him,
we are still together.
His spirit lives in each of us forever.
So, look up at the sky for the brightest star.
As this is Grandpa watching us from a far.
Dear God if it’s not to much fuss...
Could you give him the best –
as he had done for us?
In my life and so many others he played a special part.
His memories are forever embedded in our heart.

9 comments:

Judy said...

Nan, this gave me goose bumps, and a lump in my throat. What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful Grandpa. I was sad I wasn't there, and even sadder that Jerry missed it, and then Grandma, John, Adam and Donna came to our house and I knew that we were an important part of this family. Grandpa understood that we couldn't be there. What a horrible week, yet it has brought our family closer, and I feel how much this family has worried and loves us. You are just so amazing, and it will be a beautiful day Saturday with all of us together.

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It is so hard to lose someone that you love so much. but isn't it great that we know that families are forever and that you get to see him again, and that he is now no longer in pain.

Michelle said...

Natalie,
My heart aches for you today-- let those tears come, the grief will pass and one day soon you will only smile when you think about Grandpa.

Anonymous said...

Natalie,

My heart goes out to you and your family during this hard time. I am praying for you all that you will soon find peace in your hearts and be able to smile at the thought of your grandpa. May God be with you through this hard time.

Lynn said...

{Hugs}

I will be thinking of you and your family on Saturday.. I will picture in my mind a family that is large in numbers. A Family that is SO close and so FULL of love. A family that KNOWS they are loved back. A Family that KNOWS that this is not the end. A Family that doesn't say good bye....only "see you later".

You are a beautiful family and I am SO blessed to know you...and learn from your examples.

P.S. I am Still loving the peaceful and gorgeous music on your blog. IT evokes the spirit into the room in an instant.

Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

Natalie, I'm so sorry for you loss. It is hard to let them go, I know, but it is wonderfuly to know that we will see them again someday! And at least he doesn't have to suffer anymore, I had to remind myself that often after my Grandpa passed away! I hope you have a happier week this coming week!

Jesse and Ashley Packer said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. I remember how hard it was when I lost my Grandma. The time will come when you can think of him and the sadness disappears and only fond memories appear. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Robyn said...

Nat I was so sorry to hear about your grandpa. The memories your family has of him will bring you so much peace and joy. What a wonderful relationship you had with him. May God bless each one of you.