"Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride." Gordon B. Hinckley

Mar 31, 2009

Grandpa's Funeral

I have been holding off on making this post, it isn't the easiest thing for me to do. So many people say to me that Grandpa is better off now, and that all old people have to die!! I know he is better off, but it doesn't make it any easier and my Grandpa died at the age of 72, that isn't old to me, he died way too young and should have had more time to live. It isn't easy for me and having my own children to explain this too has made it harder. My Grandpa's funeral was something I will never forget. It was beautiful, the message that was taught was amazing. When I listened to my Mom, Aunt Donna, Uncle Jerry, and Uncle John speak the message I got from them was to live a simple life, love and accept everyone, show kindness in the small ways, be an honest person, love your family even if they have offended you, and endure! My Grandpa did all of these, he lived a very hard life and didn't always make the best choices, in fact the choices he made took him from us far too early. But I have learned from his example, he was great in my eyes and in the eyes of his family. I never once thought my Grandpa was a bad person, I loved him no matter what! I had the privilege of singing "Grandpa tell me about the good old days" that song was my Grandpa, he always told me about the good old days when life was good, I will miss his stories and his love. But I will always remember the stories he did tell me, and things he taught me. My Grandpa will live in me forever!

The beautiful flowers



Josh and Kenna


Josh, cousin Adam, my sister Katie, my brother Nick


My Great Aunt Doris and Kenna. Aunt Doris was my lifesaver with Kenna. Kenna was so busy and would not stay with me, but boy did she love Doris. Kenna kept pointing and saying "Grandpa" she had the sweetest spirit with her that day I will never forget it. Kenna loved Grandpa.


Uncle Jesse trying to keep Kenna under control as well.


Sweet little angels...Jaden, Maddy, Charlie, and Kynzee. How do you explain death to a child? Let me tell you what it is very hard, I learned that this day and the questions have been not stop since. These kids loved their Grandpa!

My Great Uncle Dell and my Dad

Josh, Kenna, Maddy, and Kynzee, it was a cold windy day!

The Paul Bearers that Grandpa was always so proud of..my brothers.... Nick, Nathan, Jesse and my cousins...Daniel, Ryan, and Adam



Look at those wonderful Men that Grandpa taught and loved so much

Cousins Adam and Daniel and my brother Nathan..you can see the sadness on their face...so hard for them. Grown men do cry!




My sister Katie holding Kynzee's hand


Daddy keeping sweet Kenna under control

9 comments:

Pitcherfam4 said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I know a loss like that can tear at your heart forever. Please let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you no matter how small the favor. Shalyce

Judy said...

Beautiful Post Nan. It is hard to believe it has been 1 week tonight. It was a beautiful funeral and so many wonderful messages. They all did so good. Sooooo many people have commented to me about how good it was. I loved your mom's talk. she is amazing. They were all so strong. We are blessed Nan! To be so capable of loving each other so much and be so close. I love ya kiddo!

Marianne said...

What a beautiful post. And what a great way to remember your grandpa. I love what you said at the beginning about living life and loving family, even though you may be offended by them. It is so true. Thanks for sharing a little bit about the day and the hurt and the love that you have for your grandpa.

Nichelle said...

I am sorry about the loss of Grandpa. I hope things get better for you. I know that it is so hard to lose someone you love.

Lynn said...

I can imagine how it must of felt to write this post. You inspire me. I felt the same things as you did when my grandpa died.. He had a heart attack in his mid 60's. To me that was NOT old. He was my best friend. It never is easy.

You inspire me because you took the time and courage to write down your thoughts and feelings and to also take pictures and to record the day.....right down to the weather. No matter how hard that was.

I wish now that I had done that. I have a couple of photos, but I couldn't write my thoughts down and now some of those feelings and thoughts of that day are fading away and I don't have the answers to give to my kids. They never had the chance to know him at all.. None of them were born yet.

Your girls are SO blessed to have this piece of history recorded for them. What a BEAUTIFUL family you have.. So supportive and so wonderful to help each other out.

P.S. I LOVE the blog look change. It brightened my day.. So SPRING! And the new pics of your girls just make me SMILE! You look great in your photo with your girls. I hope your health is 100% back to normal.

Sue Ann said...

Beautiful post! The funeral was so wonderful with such a sweet, strong spirit there. I know your Grandpa was there and very proud of his wonderful family. He is now learning and growing and preparing the way for each of you!

Julia said...

Natalie, I'm so sorry you lost your grandpa. It absolutely breaks my heart and my prayers have been with you. David's grandpa passed away a month ago and he was the first death in their family...it's true, grown men do cry (and to watch him made me cry even harder). I loved the message you wrote of his funeral and also admire your strength and honesty in telling your children. It is hard, my closest grandpa died when I was 7, but i'm still as close to him now as I was 20 years ago. And it will be the same with you and your grandpa.

Julia said...

oh! p.s.!! your girls are gorgeous in the new pics you put up, i see your smile in them, they're adorable.

J-Babe said...

Looks like you have great family support, it sure is nice to have that in time's like this. Hang in there:)