"Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride." Gordon B. Hinckley

Nov 5, 2008

My testimony grew yesterday


As I walked up the stairs and stood in line to vote yesterday my heart was full. A lump in my throat and a feeling I will never forget. How blessed I was to to have the freedom to vote. What a hard thing it was for me to decide who to vote for. I wished there would have been another candidate. I wished so many things at that moment, I was scared all day of who would win. I have been scared for weeks about election day. I prayed that I might make the right choice in who I voted for. I am sure that I did the best I could. Last night as I sat and watched the votes coming in, my body shook, I was afraid of what was going to happen to our world if the wrong person won the election. There were so many thoughts that came to my mind. Disturbing thoughts of what could happen to our nation, to our families, to ourselves. And then my husband said to me "Don't worry about it, you can't worry about the things you cannot change" and he was right. I had a peaceful feeling come over me and instantly started pouring my heart out to him about the things I can change. I said "I know that if we do all that our Heavenly Father has asked of us we shall have no fear for what is to come. " We have been asked to do so little on our part and he has promised us so many great things in return. I try to do those little things on a daily basis, I find peace and hope when I do good things in my life. Now that election day is over I hope that we all just love each other a little more, hold tight to the ones we love, do good things for those that hate us, make righteous choices everyday of our lives, remember who we are and what we stand for, and love ourselves for how hard we try because none of us are perfect. Faith has never been easy for me to have. I have always thought negative before trying to have faith that things would work out. When I was very sick after having Makenna my Grandpa Fullmer came to give me a priesthood blessing and he said to me "Natalie, how is your faith today?" I will never forget him saying that, I had no faith that day, my faith has grown since. Thank you Grandpa for instilling one of the most important values in me during a time in my life when I needed to learn it. I have always known what faith is but lately I have had to really exercise that faith in so many decisions i have had to make in my life. I have had to rely on the Lord to help me have faith. I have a testimony of faith and my faith has grown because of this election, I will have the faith that President Obama will lead us in the right direction and will do good for our country. I hope that we can all increase our faith together, and hope for the best for our country and for our President.

9 comments:

Peterson Family said...

I agree 100%. As I was watching the elections last night, and saw who one. I just started to cry. I looked at Mark and said what on earth am I doing, there is nothing I can do about this and I feel so helpless. Just to think of all that could potentially happen, we have to hope and pray that everything will be okay..

Anonymous said...

I agree. Its a good thing that we have a Prphet who leads and guides us and we have a testimony of the Gospel and we dont have to leave it all the to President of the United States

Amber said...

I have felt the same way the last few weeks. Jason has to tell me the same thing Josh told you all the time because I tend to worry about everything. Thank goodness we have the gospel to give us peace.

Judy said...

Beautifully said Nan. You are amazing and I wish I would have had your insight at your age. you teach me so much and You always have. Today we were just waking up and talking about who won and Jerry said, We all just have to pray for him. We can only put it in the Lords hands. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Love ya kiddo

Lynn said...

Amen. Thanks for sharing that. It truly brought tears to my eyes. I can hardly see to type.

I am not American....but us Canadians have been watching everything about your election. Because in reality, we are all on the same earth. What one country does....affects another. Especially a neighboring country.

I will take your advice and pray for your President. Just as I should do for our Prime Minister.

Jesse and Ashley Packer said...

Your awesome! I am scared to death to see what is going to happen to this country in the next 4 years. It is so true, there is nothing that we can do but pray for guidance. I hope that this country is alright. I also feel that this country may suffer, however, that is all part of choice and accountability. The majority of this country WANTED this! Scary but true. Thanks for all of your wonderful insight. You amaze me.

Nichelle said...

I agree with you. Thanks for the reminder that we need to pray for President Obama. I need to have the faith that he will do what is best for our country. Thanks for the thoughts and insight.

Jesse and Jessica said...

I agree...we are so lucky to have the lord and this gosple on our side! My boss said something comforting to the staff the morning after the election...he said at the end of the day when all the elections and voting are done....no matter who wins the positive thing about living in the United states is that we are all still free...freedom is what makes the states the land of the free and the home of the brave and wether you were pushing for the democrats or republican....we are all still free and blessed to live in a country where we have the freedom to voice our opinion and to put our trust in our savior.

Jessica said...

I love this post and think you are right. We're so blessed to have the comfort of the gospel and our testimonies of it.

I always love reading your blog.