"Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride." Gordon B. Hinckley

Oct 29, 2008

Back to the Dr. for Kynzee

My poor little Kynzee has had asthma since she was a baby, we were hoping she would grow out of it by now, but no luck yet. I have decided that going into the nursing field was a great choice that I made because I use the knowledge that I have about asthma on Kynzee everyday. I would be a nervous wreck about Kynzee's breathing if I didn't know what I know. We have a few really bad months out of the year where Kynzee has attacks and other times she will be fine. The season is starting for Kynzee and I feel so bad for her. The Doctor's recommended a flu shot because they said if she didn't get one she would be really bad if she got the flu, and I have had a flu shot given to her every year. So we had flu shots for everyone about two weeks ago. Well having the flu shot put her into an asthma attack and it has been going on for weeks, she has a horrible cough and can hardly even breath at night. She wakes up soaking wet in sweat because she is trying so hard to breath. I usually hold her at night or sleep right beside her because it is so scary. I have had her outside because it has been warmer and I thought she could use some fresh air (well I am a dumb mom because it only made her worse)The Doctor told me today that her lungs are full of pneumonia. Sometimes with an asthma attack (which is always the case with Kynzee) it settles in the lungs and causes pneumonia. Kynzee has had pneumonia 5 times now!!! I had been debating on taking Kynzee in and I am so glad I did because the Dr. said it would have only gotten worse in the night and I can't imagine what worse would have been. I am not looking forward to the winter months ahead, it is so cold and hard for Kynzee. She is such a sweet little angel with a quiet, sweet little spirit about her. She has to have so many shots and breathing treatments, I hate it because she is so sweet. We have a lot of hope that she will grow out of this. But for now we will have some rough days or weeks ahead of us. Anyone have any advice on what to do for kids with asthma.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh my! I know a little of the scariness and pain with asthma....my mom has it severely and my one sister has 2 children with it.

I am SO sorry that your sweet baby has to go through that. And I am sorry that you have to watch that. How hard!

And I am sorry that I have NO advice. How truly blessed your family is to have a nurse right there under the roof. I will add her to my fast on Sunday. *hugs*

thechristensens said...

Poor little girl! It's so hard to see them hurting like that. When you just want to take it all away! I don't have any advice on asthma, either...but it is scary, and I hope that everything gets a little better for her! Good luck!

Amber said...

Poor Kynzee. I hope she gets better soon. It is so scarry when it happens. I hope you can find something that helps her.

Head Over Hills said...

I'm so sorry that your little one has asthma. My oldest has it also. Her's isn't as serious as Kynzee's. We have definitely had some scary times though. I'm so sorry these next few months are gong to be so difficult for you. Last year, Isabell missed 22 days of school from asthma related illness. The winter is so hard. On a positive note, I think she may be growing out of it, or we have it better under control. It used to be that any illness would trigger an attack, but lately she has been sick a few times without the asthma kicking in. She is six. So hopefully your daughter will grow out of hers.

Also, my baby's hair hangs down in her face too. I have been trying to decide if I should cut bangs. My other girls have cowlicks as do I so the hair in the face was never a problem. But not Brin. It is alwasy in her eyes. I think the bangs are so cute on your little girl!

Amberlee said...

Talen (my 3 yr old) also has asthma. Before he got asthma I had no idea that it was such a scary illness. He also does the daily medication, nebulizer and inhaler. He was hospitalized for pneumonia last May and it was the scariest thing as a mom that I have ever seen. He was SO sick! The coming months will be hard for us too. I am open to any advice about asthma to so if you hear something helpful let me know :)