"Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride." Gordon B. Hinckley

May 1, 2011

Feeling Better

I am finally feeling better!! Every day is getting better and better. My neck has been so sore, mainly the muscles in my neck, it has felt like I am carrying a 200 lb head on my neck!! The doctor said they had to pull the muscles away from my neck and scrape and cut the thyroid and all the tissue around the thyroid out, so it’s no wonder why I have hurt so bad!! I went into this surgery thinking it was going to be easier than my c-sections but it has not been what I call easy, it has been trying my patience for sure. I am so glad to finally see some light at the end of this tunnel of not feeling good. The incision is healing very nice, I don’t think it looks beautiful by any means but it sure looks better than it could look. I ran into a lady this weekend that made me feel so good, she took one look at me and asked me if I had my thyroid out and I said yes. She then said her husband had just had his out 2 months ago and she thought mine had probably been that long as well. I told her mine had not even been two weeks yet and she was shocked!! She said that her husbands incision was about 4 inches longer than mine and that his looked really bad compared to mine. She said they got all the cancer out of his but still made him do the radiation, 8 weeks of it in fact. She asked who did my surgery and I very proudly told her Dr. Hunt at Huntsmans Cancer Center and she told me how wise that was. I felt so relieved that I really had done the right thing by going there as hard as it is to drive back and forth it is worth it. I cannot imagine 8 weeks of radiation…yuck!! At my appointment the other day the doctor switched me over to a different thyroid medication so my body is trying to adjust and it is going to take at least 6 weeks for them to be able to change anything or regulate my levels so that is going to be hard. I am very tired, more tired than I have ever been, I also am very hot and I mean uncontrollable hot, and I also have the shakes that make me feel like I am crazy nervous about something and I am not. Did I mention I am tired…and I could sleep all day long and not care…yep that’s me! I am hoping they can fix this soon, but until the six weeks are up I will just enjoy that I am home and that I do not have to have the radiation! I am so lucky I do not have to be to work or be anywhere else, I can just stay home, stay in my pajamas, leave my house very messy, be tired, not care and get feeling better. I have been so well takin care of and so have my kids, we are so blessed to know so many wonderful people who have helped so much.  Here are some pictures for those who ask how my incision looks..

 

This was the day I got home from the hospital. I got to stay at my Aunt Judy’s house for a day so I didn’t have to drive home that day, thanks Judy. So this is me (and I look horrible, like I am swollen and on drugs..because I was), my cute cousin Stacy, and Aunt Judy.

DSCN9996_thumb[1]

This was me the day I got home…O so sore!!!

DSC_1826

And this is me now..with my sweet little Kynzee Kate! My neck looks so much better.

DSC_0263

And thanks to this cute little one for taking this picture of me and Kynzee together, she was so proud!

DSC_0275

5 comments:

Kate said...

I am so glad you are feeling better:) Looks like you have a mini picture taken Natalie on your hands:)

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that you are doing so well. Each DR. has their own way of doing things, I've decided. I had to wait 6 weeks before I could take any med for my thyroid. Had to get down so low so that the radioactive iodine would be attracted to any leftover thyroid parts that could have been in other parts, leg, arm etc.
And your scare looks Marvelous1

Pitcherfam4 said...

so glad to hear things are headed upwards. Your neck is looking great. Let me know if ya need anything. I am planning to come by within the next few days with the kiddies if you are up for it. If not yet, please let me know. Ta Ta.

Judy said...

I showed Jerry the picture and we just can't believe how good it looks. So amazing. I'll have to show you his pics. Be careful and don't over do it! Sure do love ya

Lynn said...

Oh Nat. You have been through so much, and are still thinking of others. Thanks So much for your sweet sweet comment on my blog the other day. I've been going through a really rough patch of life these days. Things I can't blog about...and which makes it harder to even want to keep up with it. So I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You totally made my day and inspired me. You just keep picking up your big girls boots and carrying on. I need to do that too.

I am SOooo happy to read how much better you are doing. It's a hard thing that you are going through. Glad you have many to love and rally around you and your family. Hugs Nat! Love ya.

P.S. Love those little tender mercies the Lord throws at you and you record them down. They will sustain you for years to come. How nice that that lady took the time to share with you her husband's experience with the same surgery. It's nice to know how blessed we truly are.....even when we are in the midst of a trial and it's hard to see where the blessings are. ; D